how to overclock your palm pre and enable the TI OMAP3430 SmartReflex mode

ok, well i think this is a new one as i havent seen anyone do it yet.  this is fresh and not fully tested so please feel free to post any results you might have

1. root your pre & login… mount -o remount,rw /
2. make a file in /etc/event.d named something you like (like “opt-overclock”)
3. put this code in it:

# -*- mode: shell-script; -*-
description "Overclock to 600MHz + SmartReflex"
author "Alex Markson"
version 1.0
start on stopped finish
stop on runlevel [!2]
console none
script
# SmartReflex
# "SmartReflex™ driver allows for auto-compensation of VDD1 and
# VDD2 voltages (around the voltages specified by current OPP)
# by analyzing the silicon characteristics, temperature, voltage etc"
# Enable SmartReflex
echo -n 1 > /sys/power/sr_vdd1_autocomp
echo -n 1 > /sys/power/sr_vdd2_autocomp
# according to the OEM shell script in /etc/miniboot.sh
# this seems like it needs to be set twice to make sure ?
echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
end script

4. reboot and notice that if you login again you can get 600 bogomips in /proc/cpuinfo this time.  nifty.  watch out for any weirdness.

so far this has just been mildly tested.  the 600mhz is per spec.  feel free to not put the code about the smartreflex option.  your choice.  TI seems to love it, but its off by default in the kernel.  more info about this technology can be found in the TI whitepapers…. it would appear to IMPROVE BATTERY LIFE.  but only some testing will find out.  The Pre just came out, I just figured out this hack, so let’s just see how it goes, I won’t pretend like I’ve been testing this for months :)

jury is still out.

more info about Texas Instruments SmartReflex(TM)

enjoy.

12 Responses to “how to overclock your palm pre and enable the TI OMAP3430 SmartReflex mode”

1. Philip Lam says:

That’s amazing! Wanna chat abou this via emals?

2. Martin says:

Are you planning to contribute this to the wiki?

3. Maria says:

Pretty good post. I just found your site and wanted to say
    that I have really liked browsing your blog posts. Anyway
    I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

4. Matthew Hall says:

now you just need to get a case made out of some sort of metal composit……then crank it up to 1Ghz….but you won’t be able to put it in your pocket anymore.

5. seekis says:

in the TI whitepapers, they make reference to smartreflex 2. does the pre’s processor support the second version or just the first?

6. will says:

I noticed the script mentions the bug in /etc/miniboot.sh , the bug referenced is not called out there, but rather /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh

Code:
    #
    # Set default cpufreq (BUG: need to set twice!)
    #
    echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
    echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed

So I modified my event.d smartflex script to set the CPU to 500 then 600, incase the values needed to be different when setting it twice, like the example above.

EDIT: Currently Im actually running mine at 500 with Smartflex on since Im not sure of the implications of running at 600.

7. Travis says:

How do you implement this overclock? I am not sure as to where to start